[DGD]Hello, think you could answer a few questiosn for me? :)

BladeDarkmour at aol.com BladeDarkmour at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 06:35:20 CEST 2000

 >> It's a personal preference thing, I think.  They're both quite capable of
 >> running MUDs.  MudOS does a lot more work in the driver, where DGD leaves
 >> it all for you.  LPC isn't the fastest language in the world, so doing
more
 >> work in the driver might be a good idea.  Of course, DGD's precompiling
 >> (compiling LPC to C and linking it into the driver) does very good things
 >> to performance.  Has anyone done any performance comparisions?

 Heh, I don't know of many interpreted languages that can boast of bein almost
 as fast as a compiled anyways, the one exception being Python... :)

 >> The use of 'nil' instead of zero for not-an-object or not-a-string etc
 >> makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

 And what difference would that be?

 >> DGD doesn't have snoop() or shadow().  As far as I can see, these are
 >> nothing but security holes.  Does anyone know what they're actually good
 >> for?  What possessed whoever was responsible to include them in the first
 >> place?

I know nothing of shadow, but going by the name and my experience with
Diku style muds, snoop lets you receive all info goin to and from another
person connected to the mud, right?  If that is the case, it is a very
essential
tool to have for any mud that plans on havin a playerbase greater than 5...
As an admin, especially the "enforcer", it is essential to be able to get
actual logs of a person doing something, catch them in the act per se.

 >> There's more, but I'm a bit hazy on the details.  DGD supports saving the
 >> entire MUD state to a file, so you can restart as if nothing had happened.
 >> I've never used this.  It also has compile-time and run-time type
checking,
 >> which makes debugging that little bit less unpleasant.

Aye, that's one of the features of DGD that caught my eye.. Tis a requirement,
and I prefer not to have to code support for it myself. :)

JD