[DGD]Hello, think you could answer a few questiosn for me? :)

BladeDarkmour at aol.com BladeDarkmour at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 06:59:15 CEST 2000

Time:

>> Precisely what you yourself can derive from his description. Previous to
>> 'nil' the role of zero was both that of the integer zero and the element
>> of nonexistance. If a function returned 0, you didn't necessarily know
>> if it was trying to return the integers zero, or just fell through with
>> no explicit return, or did not in fact resist. Similarly, there was no
>> way to have an explicit zero-integer mapping value.

*nods*  Makes sense.

>> Nobody here is going to sell you DGD. It's the best driver, it's up to
>> you to figure if it's what you need.

I didn't want anyone to sell the driver to me, I simply wanted a comparison
between the two.

>> See my previous mail. Your experience with Diku style muds might confuse
>> you a little as regards the layers of a DGD-based mud. The driver should
>> not implement snoop, the mudlib should. DGD is a generic driver, not a
>> mud. There is a higher startup cost in working with DGD, because there's
>> a dearth of good startup mudlibs for it.

I wasn't suggesting it should be part of the actual driver, I was simply
stating that
in general it is an essential tool.  But you are right in one respect; my
experience
on Diku style muds are, and allready have, going to confuse me for a while.
They
are just too different. :)

>> You couldn't.

Now that almost offends me.. How can you possibly assume that you know the
extent of my my experience as a programmer?  Sure, I agree that right at this
instant I definately could not.  But with time to familiarize myself with the
way
drivers and mudlibs work together and the actual driver in question...? Yes,
under
those circumstances, I very well could.

JD