[DGD]Hello, think you could answer a few questiosn for me? :)

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Apr 24 07:23:05 CEST 2000

BladeDarkmour at aol.com writes:
 > >> See my previous mail. Your experience with Diku style muds might confuse
 > >> you a little as regards the layers of a DGD-based mud. The driver should
 > >> not implement snoop, the mudlib should. DGD is a generic driver, not a
 > >> mud. There is a higher startup cost in working with DGD, because there's
 > >> a dearth of good startup mudlibs for it.
 >
 > I wasn't suggesting it should be part of the actual driver, I was simply
 > stating that
 > in general it is an essential tool.  But you are right in one respect; my
 > experience
 > on Diku style muds are, and allready have, going to confuse me for a while.
 > They
 > are just too different. :)

*nod* It makes a big difference in the requirements you should make
on a driver, and on existing mudlib basis, and the mudlibs built on
top of the base. DGD's minimalist behaviour is a blessing to those
who do not mind the effort, and who have their own ideas of how the
rest should work.

 > >> You couldn't.
 >
 > Now that almost offends me.. How can you possibly assume that you know the
 > extent of my my experience as a programmer?  Sure, I agree that right at
 > this instant I definately could not.  But with time to familiarize myself
 > with the  way  drivers and mudlibs work together and the actual driver in
 > question...? Yes, under those circumstances, I very well could.

You should not read my comment as condescending towards you and your skills.
DGD's swapping mechanism has been part and parcel of the design from day one
and its approach to persistence is intimately tied to swapping. Of course in
theory any driver could be transformed into a persistent one, in any number
of ways, but practically speaking my statement stands -- adding the kind of
invisible persistence that DGD gives you to any other driver is so large a
project that it would be foolish to undertake it. It would be wiser to add
to DGD any features you might miss in other drivers.

There are also many levels of persistence, some of which would enable you to
write a game that has just the amount of persistence you want. This could be
done with any driver and a mudlib written by you. Many DIKU's use a standard
SQL database for this kind of thing, but it's never the same thing as having
a runtime environment that will never, ever, again, coldstart.

Pär