[DGD]Hello, think you could answer a few questiosn for me? :)

Felix A. Croes felix at pattern.dworkin.nl
Mon Apr 24 15:14:48 CEST 2000

BladeDarkmour at aol.com wrote:

>[...]
>     Now for my main question..  What are the main advantages and
> disadvantages of the MudOS vs. DGD drivers?   I'd like un-biased responses
> btw ;)   Allready have DGD setup with a small barebones mudlib, Melville, for
> piddling around with but haven't yet been able to get MudOS fully setup for
> some odd reason..  Got the driver setup and installed properly but the mudlib
> that ships with it is giving me a small fit. *shrugs*  Ah well, I'm sure I
> can resolve that soon enough.

I wrote DGD, so I won't even keep up a pretense of being unbiased.
I'll just mention two major points:

 - DGD has persistence.  MudOS users claim that persistence is just
   something that you can program yourself in LPC, and they're almost
   correct; if handled in LPC, every object has to make sure that it
   can save and reinitialize itself.  Buggy objects are out of luck.
   The basic functions underlying the saving mechanism in MudOS are
   marred by a number of limitations which further restrict the sort
   of object that can have persistance.
 - DGD is being actively maintained and developed.  MudOS has seen
   no more than a handful of bugfixes since November 1997, out of
   the hundreds of bugs that have been reported, and no new
   development at all.  In practice this means that if you use MudOS,
   you must be prepared to do your own driver hacking.