[DGD]Hello, think you could answer a few questiosn for me? :)

BladeDarkmour at aol.com BladeDarkmour at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 08:25:09 CEST 2000

Time:

>> top of the base. DGD's minimalist behaviour is a blessing to those
>> who do not mind the effort, and who have their own ideas of how the
>> rest should work.

That's definately me. :)

>> You should not read my comment as condescending towards you and your
skills.
>> DGD's swapping mechanism has been part and parcel of the design from day
one
>> and its approach to persistence is intimately tied to swapping. Of course
in
>> theory any driver could be transformed into a persistent one, in any number
>> of ways, but practically speaking my statement stands -- adding the kind of
>> invisible persistence that DGD gives you to any other driver is so large a
>> project that it would be foolish to undertake it. It would be wiser to add
>> to DGD any features you might miss in other drivers.

Ah, I stand corrected then.  Persistance is definately one of the core
requirements
for whatever I decide to do.  This feature of DGD alone has allready made my
choice.
Put that alongside not having to rewrite and/or yank things out that are
allready
done..? :)

>> There are also many levels of persistence, some of which would enable you
>> write a game that has just the amount of persistence you want. This could
be
>> done with any driver and a mudlib written by you. Many DIKU's use a
standard
>> SQL database for this kind of thing, but it's never the same thing as
having
>> a runtime environment that will never, ever, again, coldstart.

*nods* I fully agree.

JD