[DGD]vt100 escape codes.

John West McKenna john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 20:19:09 CEST 2000

BladeDarkmour at aol.com writes:

>Is there any way to determine upon connection, automagically with no
>interaction from the user, if their terminal supports vt100 escape codes?
>*ponders*

I think the answer is "yes, if you're prepared to do a lot of work."

The telnet protocol does provide information about the terminal being used,
but DGD doesn't pass it on.  So you'd have to use the binary port (or, if
you've got the network package, tcp connections) and write your own handler
for the telnet protocol.  Even then, it won't directly tell you if it
supports VT100 (at least, I don't think so).  It will tell you what
terminal it is, and you can look up the escape code that terminal uses in
your favourite UNIX's termcap.

This would be a Good Thing.  Perhaps one day I'll get bored enough to do
it.  It would make many useful things possible.

Where's that RFC?

John West