[DGD]vt100 escape codes.

E. Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 25 08:23:34 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, John West McKenna wrote:

> BladeDarkmour at aol.com writes:
>
> >Is there any way to determine upon connection, automagically with no
> >interaction from the user, if their terminal supports vt100 escape codes?
> >*ponders*
>
> I think the answer is "yes, if you're prepared to do a lot of work."

[...]
> Where's that RFC?

There's several.  Start here for some groundwork:

  RFC 854 - Telnet protocol specification.
  RFC 855 - Telnet option specifications.

There are quite a few describing further details, I suggest you fetch an
rfc-index.txt from a web or ftp server near you and grep through it for
'Telnet'. :-)

The one you're then looking for is RFC 1091:

  1091 Telnet terminal-type option. J. VanBokkelen. Feb-01-1989.
       (Format: TXT=13439 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0930) (Status: PROPOSED
       STANDARD)

Good luck. :-)

Erwin.
--