[DGD]vt100 escape codes.

Marc Spoorendonk marc at freud.et.tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 25 11:52:37 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, John West McKenna wrote:

> BladeDarkmour at aol.com writes:
>
> >Is there any way to determine upon connection, automagically with no
> >interaction from the user, if their terminal supports vt100 escape codes?
> >*ponders*
>
> I think the answer is "yes, if you're prepared to do a lot of work."

I did this about two years ago and it isn't _that_ hard. It's a matter of
reading a handfull of RFC's about the TELNET OPTION protocol. This lets
your parse the environment variables that are send with a telnet
connection.

The ones usually transmitted are DISPLAY, TERM and PRINTER.

> The telnet protocol does provide information about the terminal being used,
> but DGD doesn't pass it on.  So you'd have to use the binary port (or, if
> you've got the network package, tcp connections) and write your own handler
> for the telnet protocol.  Even then, it won't directly tell you if it
> supports VT100 (at least, I don't think so).  It will tell you what
> terminal it is, and you can look up the escape code that terminal uses in
> your favourite UNIX's termcap.

Yups.

> This would be a Good Thing.  Perhaps one day I'll get bored enough to do
> it.  It would make many useful things possible.
>
> Where's that RFC?

Do a grep through the RFC database on "TTYPE" or "ENVIRON"

> John West

Marc Spoorendonk
Department of Electrical Engineering
Delft University of Technology

e-mail			: Marc at freud.et.tudelft.nl
mud			: telnet://freud.et.tudelft.nl:8888
URL			: http://freud.et.tudelft.nl/~marc/index.html