[DGD]reset() and other banana peels...

Imo Wright and_it_rained at email.com
Wed Aug 23 14:09:22 CEST 2000

>Sure, but it would probably help if you also told us what your >previous
attempts have been like, idea, background, >implementation and their
respective problems? :-)

Hmm...I've tried implementing a counter that started ticking over as soon as
the state of the object changed, as well as what you suggested about
reset()-ing every time a user got near the object.

What would be ideal would be to combine these approaches, because I don't
want everything resetting immediately because of balance (60 odd people with
the same hugely valuable weapon, for instance).  It would probably save some
CPU if I made it that everything had a standard heart_beat(), but it would
still need to be called out x number of times for almost everything.

What I am really looking for is a way to call reset() so that I could have a
variable time without getting into a state where I have 1k counters running
at the same time, which would be enough to crash even the most patient of
dedicated machines.  I'm probably missing some crucial function or
flow-control principle that would make this possible, but some pointing in
the right direction would help :).

Thanks,

--

Imogen Wright