[DGD]dgd: possible to run without internet connection?

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 12 14:30:46 CET 2000

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 07:59:41AM -0500, Thomas Annandale wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Erwin Harte wrote:
> > Use 'localhost' to indicate the ipname that you want to connect to,
> > so something like "telnet localhost <yourportnumber>".
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific.  My problem is that when I'm not
> connected to the internet, the DGD driver will not start.  I type "./dgd
> mymud.dgd" and it hangs for a while and then exits with the message
> "gethostbyname: Resource temporarily unavailable"
>
> Any suggestions?  It really would be nice to be able to work on my mud
> even when I'm at some place without internet access.

Sounds like a "misconfigured" host.

DGD does a gethostname() call and tries to resolve the resulting name
to an ipnumber with the gethostbyname().  It looks like the name you
have given your own computer does not resolve to any ipnumber, which
explains the long delay, and then the error.

As far as I know you can see what gethostname() returns by using the
unix command 'hostname'.  If your linux distribution is similar enough
to mine then 'hostname -i', which tries to resolve the ipnumber in a
similar way, will also timeout and fail?

It might very well help (but I've not had this problem so it's all
purely theoretical) to add something like '127.0.0.1 <your.host.name'
to your /etc/hosts file.

Good luck!

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte         :    `Don't mind Erwin, he gets crabby. :)'
harte at xs4all.nl     :       -- Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>