[DGD]Object Upgrading Scenario

Neil McBride neil at ekit-inc.com
Thu Jan 6 03:50:53 CET 2000

It seems I did the same as Jason.  Apologies if you get this twice. Damn
changing email addresses ;)

> There isn't any way to upgrade all existing objects in your scenario.
> It is a special case of the more general problem:
>
>     If an object is both inherited and used in any other way (either
>     it has had a function called in it, or it has been cloned),
>     upgrading both this object and those that inherit it is not
>     possible.
>
> This is precisely why I prevented using/cloning of inheritable objects
> in the kernel library.

So, was it intentionaly designed this way in the driver, or is it simply
something that couldn't be worked around? (ie - the master keeps track
of clones and desting it loses track of them perhaps - I don't know ;)
The way I see it is that being able to make an instance of an object
(ie, clone) _and_ inheriting the original object is something that
should be possible.  I don't really understand why it's considered a bad
design, except in relation to the way DGD treats inheriting/compiling.

Also, is there some reason as to why the extra functionality the kernel
lib provides is not made a standard part of the driver itself - possibly
along with the changes to make global upgrading completely automatic
(except for the outlined scenario ;) ??

Just trying to understand ;)

Cheers,

Neil.