[DGD]Object Upgrading Scenario

Jason Cone jcone at uscdev.com
Thu Jan 6 06:24:17 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl>

> There isn't any way to upgrade all existing objects in your scenario.
> It is a special case of the more general problem:
>
>     If an object is both inherited and used in any other way (either
>     it has had a function called in it, or it has been cloned),
>     upgrading both this object and those that inherit it is not
>     possible.

As was my operating assumption.  Who would have thought, however, that
allocate(2) would have an effect on the threading. ;)  I just wanted to be
sure that there wasn't some obfuscated way around the proposed (obvious)
problem.  Thanks for clarifying, though.

> This is precisely why I prevented using/cloning of inheritable objects
> in the kernel library.

This was a great design/implementation point and has been duplicated in our
system.  If I were going to provide the code to others, though, I didn't
want to force them into a specific design paradigm.  But being that there's
no way around it, there's really no other option.  At the very least,
though, I'll trap such situations and raise errors if the given relationship
does exist.

> By the way, the subject is far from beaten to death.  I rather think
> it died prematurely. :)

Ok then. :)  Without providing an ETA, I'll provide the code upon its
completion.

Jason