[DGD]upgrading

John West McKenna john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 15:45:31 CET 2000

There's been a bit of talk about upgrading objects, and there's always
been people wanting code for it.  So...  This is how I'm doing upgrading
of objects.  Like Dworkin's kernel lib, I distinguish between classes
and objects.  Actually, I make a three-way distinction:

  1) libs: Anything with /lib/ in its path can be inherited.  It cannot
     be cloned.  No other objects can be inherited.  create() is not
     called, and the blueprint should not be used.
  2) clones: Anything with /obj/ in its path can be cloned.  No other
     objects can be cloned.  create() is called on the clones, but not
     the blueprint.  The blueprint should not be used.
  3) singles: All other objects have create() called on the blueprint.

2 and 3 together are called 'objects'.

If you're foolish enough to have *both* /lib/ and /obj/ in your path,
you're treated as a lib.

There is also mention of 'physical' objects.  These are clones that have
some 'real' existence in the MUD universe (including players).  Any
clone that wants a real existence inherits /kernel/lib/physical, which
defines (among many other things) the function is_physical() to simply
return 1.

The code below is NOT the best way of doing things.  In particular, I'm
not at all happy with the way that I'm including the auto object in the
inheritence table.  There's a bug in there somewhere too - it fails in
interesting ways if there was a compilation error.

Hopefully having some code will provoke a little discussion, and maybe
even a little code...

/*  The auto object */

int is_clone() {
  return (sscanf(object_name(this_object()), "%*s#"));
}

void _create() {
  /* create() gets called for clones of objects in a .../obj/... directory, and
     for blueprints of objects that are not in a .../obj/... or .../lib/...
     directory, but not for anything else.  In particular, inherited objects
     and the blueprints of clones don't get create() called. */
  string name;

  name=object_name(this_object());
  /* It can only be a clone if it was in a .../obj/... directory, so no need
     to explicitly check for that */
  if (sscanf(name, "%*s#")) {
    this_object()->create();
  } else {
    if (!sscanf(name, "%*s/lib/") && !sscanf(name, "%*s/obj/")) {
      this_object()->create();
    }
  }
}

object compile_object(string name) {
  object o;

  o=::compile_object(name);
  /* Make sure create() gets called */
  call_other(o, "???");
  return o;
}

object clone_object(object obj) {
  if (sscanf(object_name(obj), "%*s/lib/")) {
    DRIVER->message("Illegal clone: "+mixed_to_string(this_object())+
      " attempting to clone "+mixed_to_string(obj));
    return nil;
  }
  if (!sscanf(object_name(obj), "%*s/obj/")) {
    DRIVER->message("Illegal clone: "+mixed_to_string(this_object())+
      " attempting to clone "+mixed_to_string(obj));
    return nil;
  }
  return ::clone_object(obj);
}

/* The driver object */

mapping inheritence;
mapping upgrading;
mapping last_upgraded;
int reboot_time;
string *upgraded_clones;

void initialize() {
  /* ... */
  reboot_time=time();
}

object inherit_program(string from, string path, int priv) {
  if (!sscanf(path, "%*s/lib/")) {
    message("Illegal inherit: "+from+" attempting to inherit "+path);
    return nil;
  } else {
    if (!inheritence) {
      inheritence=([ ]);
    }
    if (!inheritence[path]) {
      inheritence[path]=({ });
    }
    if (!inheritence[AUTO]) {
      inheritence[AUTO]=({ });
    }
    /* !!! This is really ugly.  There must be a better way of doing this.
       But we're not told when someone inherits AUTO.  So we just add it
       whenever any object gets mentioned (because if the object exists,
       it inherits AUTO). */
    inheritence[AUTO]=(inheritence[AUTO]-({ from }))+({ from });
    inheritence[AUTO]=(inheritence[AUTO]-({ path }))+({ path });
    inheritence[path]=(inheritence[path]-({ from }))+({ from });
    return load(path);
  }
}

static string *_upgrade(string path) {
  string *inherited_by;
  object obj;
  string *done;
  int i;

  done=({ });
  if (inheritence) {
    obj=find_object(path);
    inherited_by=inheritence[path];
    if (!upgrading[path]) {
      upgrading[path]=1;
      if (inherited_by) {
        /* It's a lib - destruct it and upgrade everything that inherits it */
        last_upgraded[path]=time();
        destruct_object(obj);
        done+=({path});
        for (i=0;i<sizeof(inherited_by);i++) {
          done+=_upgrade(inherited_by[i]);
        }
      } else {
        /* It's an object - if a blueprint exists, recompile it.  If there is
           no blueprint, there's no point - it'll get compiled next time it
           is used. */
        if (obj) {
          last_upgraded[path]=time();
          compile_object(path);
          upgraded_clones+=({path});
          done+=({path});
        }
      }
    }
  }
  return done;
}

static string *auto_upgrade(string path) {
  string *inherited_by;
  mixed *dir_info;
  int last_upgrade, modified_time;
  int i;
  string *done;

  done=({ });
  if (last_upgraded[path]) {
    last_upgrade=last_upgraded[path];
  } else {
    last_upgrade=reboot_time;
  }
  dir_info=get_dir(path+".c");
  if (sizeof(dir_info[2])) {
    modified_time=dir_info[2][0];
    if (modified_time>last_upgrade) {
      done+=_upgrade(path);
    }
  }
  inherited_by=inheritence[path];
  if (inherited_by) {
    for (i=0;i<sizeof(inherited_by);i++) {
      done+=auto_upgrade(inherited_by[i]);
    }
  }
  return done;
}

string *upgrade(string path) {
  /* If given a path, upgrade that object and everything that depends
     on it.  If not given a path, do an automatic upgrade of every file
     that has been modified since it was last recompiled.
     Returns an array of the paths of all objects that were recompiled. */
  string *done;

  upgraded_clones=({ });
  upgrading=([ ]);
  if (!last_upgraded) {
    last_upgraded=([ ]);
  }
  if (path) {
    /* Just upgrade that file (and anything that depends on it) */
    done=_upgrade(path);
  } else {
    /* Auto upgrade everything that has changed */
    done=auto_upgrade(DRIVER);
    done+=auto_upgrade(AUTO);
  }
  /* This has to be done as a call_out, unfortunately.  The 'compile' kfun
     doesn't replace the objects with the new version until after the current
     thread has finished.  But we want to call upgraded() on the new version. */
  call_out("call_upgraded", 0, upgraded_clones+({ }));
  upgraded_clones=({ });
  return done;
}

void call_upgraded(string *paths) {
  /* Tell each object it has been upgraded.  Also move them to the void and back
     so uninit() and init() get called */
  int i;
  object obj;
  object old_location;

  for (i=0;i<sizeof(paths);i++) {
    obj=load(paths[i]);
    if (obj->is_clone() && obj->is_physical()) {
      old_location=obj->query_property(UNIV_PROP_PARENT);
      obj->move(nil);
    }
    obj->upgraded();
    if (obj->is_clone() && obj->is_physical()) {
      obj->move(old_location);
    }
  }
}