[DGD]Unicode support planned?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Jan 10 02:51:05 CET 2000

"Jason Cone" <jcone at uscdev.com> wrote:

> What with the previous poster inquiring about the filtering of specific
> character ranges, I've been reminded of something I meant to inquire about a
> while ago.  Is there any sort of plan to incorporate Unicode support in DGD?
> Specifically, has native double-byte character set support been planned?  I
> was convinced that this could be simulated to some extent, but the fact that
> certain ranges are in fact being filtered out, even a simulation might not
> be possible.

For Unicode (and even for Czech) I would suggest using binary connections.

DGD does not use or depend on any character set for binary connections.
What is sent and received is raw data.  Any interpretation is up to the
mudlib and the client.  Unicode will require some sort of dedicated
client anyhow, which is another argument in favour of using binary
connections.

Telnet connections are a hack, a combination of mostly useful telnet
escape sequence interpretation, buffering, and filtering of potentially
dangerous characters.  Any argument against one of these features can
be extended to all of them.  I recommend using binary connections for
all new mudlibs.