[DGD]statedumping

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed May 10 22:20:03 CEST 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 04:04:05PM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> > Swapping helps, but doesn't solve the problem in a truly
> > permanent way, since if you -never- restart the mud, and you have
> > objects that never get cast loose from the game world, eventually
> > (-very- eventually perhaps) the swap file will fill the hard disk.

> Not really, unless you were not careful with the configuration parameters,
> since you have to specify the maximum size for the swap file in the mud
> config file.

Ah, a slightly different question then: What does DGD do if the
swap file exceeds the maximum size? I don't know. I imagine it
does something that raises a problem for true perpetuality, but
what is it?

> Good point altogether.  I was of course making the assumption that the
> mudlib itself has been written in a decent way to not leave garbage around.

In principle, of course, that should be true; in practice, proving
that any mudlib complex enough to be interesting actually satisfied
that assumption is non-trivial. I don't know for sure but I would
imagine the large majority of publically available mudlibs probably
have at least some small leaks in them. If you're going to reboot
the mud every so often anyway, then they wouldn't be noticed; but
if you went to true perpetuality they'd eventually rear their
heads and bite.

Stephen Schmidt