[DGD]Object manager released

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 21 01:40:48 CEST 2000

Hi,

I really think DGD could use a code repository.  Maybe someone could set up
a little website with files split in categories?  Or is there an existing
one (with code for other drivers) we should invade?

Anyway, I follow up Erwin Harte's release of his error daemon, with releasing
my object manager.  Free for non-commercial use.  Use it in your mudlib, or as
an example for making your own.  It is based on the kernel library.

The code is not yet complete.  Most importantly, it should disable new logins
and input from users during object upgrades (it only disables callouts).  But
I guess this is a mudlib specific thing.  Anyway, better it is available now
than never.  I haven't looked at it for a long while.

Get the files:
http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~geirhans/objectd.c
http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~geirhans/wiztool_addon.c
(Check out the neat display of inheritance trees)

A challenge:

Find ways the object manager could be improved.
   There were interesting discussions in the past -- maybe an example
   implementation can be good for further discussion.
Release some of your own DGD code.
   Yes, from that mudlib you have been working on the last five years and
   only 3 objects are done.

If I see this has any purpose, I may release my command parser too.  Much
nicer than what MudOS has.  Can handle commands like:
"get everything from the basket, give the fruit except the rotten apples
to the old man and smile at him"
"sell arrows, weapons and armor except the shiny helms"
"get three silver coins from the pouch and give them to the guard"
"give the money to the guard"
(uncount nouns are handled as well as countable ones)
Of course it also supports "give money to guard" for lazy typers.

Have fun!

- Geir