[DGD]Object manager released

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Sep 22 05:44:54 CEST 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> "Chris Kaczor" <zor at mediaone.net> wrote:
> > Yeah - I learn best from examples which is why I latched onto Melville - it
> > was already working in a way that I could map to my understanding of 2.4.5
> > and work from there.
> > The kernel lib is so basic I'm just lost on where to start....
> > the documentation.

> Try to approach the kernel lib as an operating system rather than
> a 2.4.5-like mudlib.

This may help illuminate the difficulty. Those without a
solid background in computer science (a category which
includes me, FWIW) may not be in a position to approach
the kernel lib as an operating system; they may not have
the knowledge or skills or experience for that. (I don't.)
You can approach Melville with a minimal knowledge of
programming as long as you have reasonable experience
with some variety of earlier LP mud.

I think the target audience for the kernel lib and the target
audience for Melville are rather different sets of people,
probably disjoint sets or nearly so, and that that's part
of the reason why, so many years later, both are still being
discussed here. I also think a full mud-in-a-box mudlib
would have a third target audience disjoint from the other
two, which is why it'd be nice to have one.

Steve