[DGD]Initializing problem

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Apr 20 05:07:15 CEST 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:43:27PM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> > replacing is, in fact, what I'm doing

> Replacing _by a version in /usr/System_?  Or are you modifying the
> original /kernel/obj/user.c on the spot, which is what it looks like
> you're doing (and is a generally bad idea)?

"mv user.c user.dworkin"
"cp /somewhere/else/user.c ."

I am replacing the original /kernel/obj/user.c with a totally
new version on the spot. I don't think this is problematic,
at least not in the same way that modifying the kernel lib's
/kernel/obj/user.c would be. (I am inheriting LIB_USER as
directed.)

The problem is that if one replaces /kernel/obj/user with a
file located elsewhere in the lib, then one must modify the
kernel lib to clone user from somewhere else, and it seemed
no worse, and more straightforward, to simply put the new
file into the place of the old one.

Does this raise a difficulty that I am missing, other than
the aesthetic one that I am making changes under /kernel
(which as far as I can tell is unavoidable)?

Steve

"Nearly every historian, including this one, has concluded that to
say of Gideon J. Pillow that he was the President's law partner was
to sum up his military talents."
                                        K. Jack Bauer