[DGD]Initializing problem

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 20 05:29:34 CEST 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:07:15PM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
[...]
> The problem is that if one replaces /kernel/obj/user with a
> file located elsewhere in the lib, then one must modify the
> kernel lib to clone user from somewhere else, and it seemed
> no worse, and more straightforward, to simply put the new
> file into the place of the old one.

* In ~System/ create initd.c.
* In ~System/sys/ create telnetd.c
* In ~System/initd.c compile and initialize ~System/sys/telnetd.c
* From either ~System/initd.c or ~System/sys/telnetd.c register the
  newly created alternative telnet-manager as _the_ telnet-manager by
  the call of USERD->set_telnet_manager(...object...).
* From ~System/sys/telnetd.c you can now clone whichever user.c object
  you damn well please when the appropriate function is being called,
  just make sure both objects have the same basic functionality as
  their kernel-lib counterparts so that they'll play nice with the
  rest of it.

If I missed anything, by all means let me know and I'll gladly help.

> Does this raise a difficulty that I am missing, other than
> the aesthetic one that I am making changes under /kernel
> (which as far as I can tell is unavoidable)?

Primarily practical.  It is of course entirely up to you to replace
bits and pieces of the /kernel structure but the whole point in the
exercise of the lib was that this isn't necessary and only makes
upgrading it later a pain in the butt b/c you can't apply the patches
cleanly anymore or replace the /kernel and /include/kernel subtrees
in their entirety with drop-in replacements.

Hope that helped,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte      : `Don't mind Erwin, he gets crabby. :)'
harte at xs4all.nl  :    -- Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>