[DGD]Initializing problem

Jason Cone jcone at uscdev.com
Fri Apr 20 17:56:23 CEST 2001

For each of the 2 locations, /kernel/include/System.h and
/usr/System/include/System.h, the statement,

	#include <System.h>

, is still a valid declaration; I verified this by moving your System.h from
/kernel/include to /usr/System/include and changed nothing else.  Because
one of the (secondary) include paths in the config file is "~/include", any
file that is represented by "/usr/<single directory>/include/<file>" can be
included via "#include <file>".

> I think the /include/System.h file should give general pointers into
> the /usr/System/ tree, while ~System/include/ would contain include-
> files for specific objects' interfaces.

Granted.  It could also be argued that including a non-standard file in the
core library directory structure is no different than modifying a core
library file. ;)  Plus, should Felix decide to ever include a
/kernel/include/System.h file (for whatever reason), that would necessitate
breaking compatibility for those secondary libraries that were employing the
underlying functionality of the core library _and_ originally implemented a
/kernel/include/System.h as suggested by the supplied setup.

To me, a custom secondary library should be totally and completely
encapsulated by the /usr/System -- that way, alternative core libraries
could be developed on top of which any library that was configured to run on
top of Felix's core library could also run (which may, or may not, contain a
'/kernel/include' directory).

For what it's worth, I think you performed a great pedagogical service by
supplying what you did -- for more people (myself included), it's much
easier to learn by example than by theory. :)

JC

--
  Jason Cone
  Senior Software Developer