[DGD]Initializing problem

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Apr 20 19:28:00 CEST 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Par Winzell wrote:
> As good an idea as this may seem, it has been my experience that if
> you include any kind of minimal anything, "for example/documentation
> purposes", then every single damn library developed will forever be
> constrained by your example implementation.

You didn't like the little room with the humpbacked bridge?   :)

I completely agree with Par - but there is a cost. If you
don't provide an example, your software gets a lot harder
to use, especially for people who are less knowledgeable
than you. You have to trade off generality for usability.
LPMud 2.4.5 went completely in the direction of usable;
it had a completely functioning base world, which then
became the starting city of not less than half the muds
that based themselves on it. DGD goes the other way; it
doesn't channel you at all, but it's hard for someone
like me to figure out what it does.

While agreeing that generality is, in some sense, more
important than usability, still I think it'd be OK if
DGD went a little more in the direction of providing
example code for people to pick apart.

> (and if there's anything we should be begging
> Monsieur Croes for, it's to finish the documentation ;)

I beg! I beg! I beg!   :)

Steve