[DGD]parse_string

Jason Cone jcone at uscdev.com
Tue Apr 24 23:23:38 CEST 2001

The main difference being that the aforementioned utilities are greatly
explained by a certain kiwi book (lex & yacc, 2nd Edition) and cater to both
the novice and advanced user alike.

The fact that a feature is "too powerful and too important" is ill
justification for the lack of practical/applicable example (what Felix
unfortunately labels "dumbing down").  To Felix's credit, though, he did
provide a grammar to parse LPC itself (along with extended discussion
regarding the functionality) in a posting to this very mailing list back in
the day.  I would encourage those of you who are seeking more information
regarding parse_string() to search through the mailing list archives on
references to parse_string.

If, after you guys have have found all the available information, you would
still like a bit more explanation on what it is and/or how/why to use it,
let me know and I'll write a complimentary document on the thing.  I'd also
be interested in posting a collection of code that I wrote for a (currently
halted and unfinished) lib development effort that duplicated (falling short
in some areas, and exceeding in other areas) MudOS' verb functionality.

JC