[DGD]Sending emails through DGD?

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Apr 30 19:00:52 CEST 2001

 > I'm trying to set up a system that automatically emails a player
 > their password when they create a new account.  Is there currently
 > support for this in DGD, or does anyone know what changes might
 > need to be made to implement this feature?

The four most obvious ways to do this that come to mind:

 * Connect to the SMTP port on a mail-handling machine somewhere,
   e.g. smtp.yourisp.com, and communicating over TCP/IP according
   to SMTP. The protocol is specified in RFC's, a quick grep:

zell at alyx:/usr/local/doc/rfc ) grep -i smtp rfc-index.txt
0876 Survey of SMTP implementations. D. Smallberg. Sep-01-1983.
1047 Duplicate messages and SMTP. C. Partridge. Feb-01-1988. (Format:
1090 SMTP on X.25. R. Ullmann. Feb-01-1989. (Format: TXT=6141 bytes)
1425 SMTP Service Extensions. J. Klensin, WG Chair, N. Freed, Editor,
1426 SMTP Service Extension for 8bit-MIMEtransport. J. Klensin, WG
1427 SMTP Service Extension for Message Size Declaration. J. Klensin,
1428 Transition of Internet Mail from Just-Send-8 to 8bit-SMTP/MIME.
1651 SMTP Service Extensions. Klensin, N. Freed, M. Rose, E. Stefferud
1652 SMTP Service Extension for 8bit-MIMEtransport. Klensin, N. Freed,
1653 SMTP Service Extension for Message Size Declaration. J. Klensin,
1830 SMTP Service Extensions for Transmission of Large and Binary MIME

RFC's can be found on a number of sites across the web; see Yahoo.

 * Write a little servlet that sits on your own machine and accepts
   incoming connections from DGD and translates them into executions
   of the sendmail program on the Unix (right?) box that runs DGD,
   or maybe it's written in PHP, or Perl, or some other language that
   has mail-sending functions built into their standard libraries.

Both of the above require the network package. If you don't use that:

 * Write a little program that connects to DGD's binary port and sets
   itself up as a mail handler. Otherwise functions as above.

 * Write a kfun that does it. Ick.

Zell