[DGD] MudOS or DGD

Gary muphicks at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 1 10:37:01 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sergey S. Koval" <serg at scs.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To: <dgd at list.imaginary.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 4:33 PM
Subject: [DGD] MudOS or DGD

> Hello.
> I'm new in LP world. Recently i started to write own mudlib from scratch.
> I used MudOS driver. However, i couldn't find any information if this
project
> still alive. So i looked forward DGD and have some questions:
> (yes, i'we read faq)
>
> 1. Is there anywhere manual on driver efunctions ? (MudOS comes with
slightly
> more complete documentation)

  There is a good amount of documentation in the docs dir of dgd, but I
could
not find any good docs on lpc. A quick websearch will fix you up on that, if
not email me and I'll email you the lpc reference I have.

> 2. Is it possible to add own "plugin" efuns without altering driver code ?

  DGD uses kfuns, which I think are very similar to efuns. Checkout the
kernel
docs in the documents directory.

> 3. Is it really hard to move from MudOS to DGD ? Actually, could someone
> point on major differences ?

  No idea... I would image its pretty difficult to port code over, but to
actually
learn to code a code base from scratch will probably be as difficuly in
either one.

> 4. Anybody benchmarked these drivers ? Does speed greatly differs ?
> (i mean internal code, not precompieled version)

  Nope..

> P.S. Sorry, if you think, that this message is offtopic.

  Um seems on topic to me :)

  While I'm replying, if your wanting to start out from a really minimalist
mudlib
but still have some of the basics such as simple rooms, a message board, a
player
and a user object already setup and ready to configure as well as a nice
setup
for security. Then have a look at Melville. Its what I'm basing my mud on.
You still have to code all the rules of your mud such as combat, any spell
systems etc all Melville provides is a very basic layout for a starting
mudlib.

  I've found its still so generic that you can make any mud from it, albeit
you will
have to do a fair amount of coding.. But it already has a few things
implemented
that starting from scratch you would have to code yourself.