[DGD] MudOS or DGD

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Aug 1 15:33:22 CEST 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Gary wrote:
> From: "Sergey S. Koval" <serg at scs.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>

> > 1. Is there anywhere manual on driver efunctions ? (MudOS comes with
> > slightly more complete documentation)

>   There is a good amount of documentation in the docs dir of dgd, but I
> could not find any good docs on lpc. A quick websearch will fix you up
> on that, if not email me and I'll email you the lpc reference I have.

Having hacked both MudOS and DGD reasonably deeply, I would be
careful about using an LPC reference that isn't DGD specific.
The differences in the approach of the two drivers, particularly
the kfun/efun/simul_efun concept, are large enough to confuse
even a moderately experienced wizard. Someone should write a
DGD-LPC document if it hasn't already been done.

> > 2. Is it possible to add own "plugin" efuns without altering driver code ?
>
>   DGD uses kfuns, which I think are very similar to efuns. Checkout the
> kernel docs in the documents directory.

A DGD kfun is probably more similar to a MudOS simul_efun than
to an efun, although the analogy's not perfect in either case.

> > 3. Is it really hard to move from MudOS to DGD ? Actually, could someone
> > point on major differences ?

If you're starting with a base lib such as Melville, then the
differences are pretty minor as far as the drivers are concerned.
If you're going to write your own auto object, though, then the
differences are severe. If you plan to code "from scratch", I'd
still recommend taking either the Melville lib or the kernel lib
and using its driver function, auto function, user and player
objects, and a few more. At least until you can hack up your
own versions.

>   No idea... I would image its pretty difficult to port code over, but to
> actually learn to code a code base from scratch will probably be as
> difficuly in either one.

Without using the MudOS to DGD package, porting would be more work
that rewriting from the basis of Melville or the kernel lib IMHO.

Steve