[DGD] Problems With Melville

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Dec 4 04:25:30 CET 2001

David Jackson writes:

 > Anyone care to share a snippet of a better command parser for the
 > Melville lib?

Hrm, parsers are not quite -that- simple. Any parser that goes beyond
<verb> <object> will be longer than a snippet. With DGD, you can make
use of parse_string(), a rather powerful string parser documented in
dgd/doc/parser.

If I were to hand-code something, I think I might take a look at the
Infocom parser. It's dated, but still pretty neat.

Once you leave <verb> <object> the next 'resting place' is a distance
away, in my opinion. Yeah, you can make it detect and ignore adverbs,
you can strip off articles... but if you want real parsing, you're in
for a bit of work.

What did you have in mind?

Zell