[DGD] Desperately Wanted

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 10 02:24:37 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 07:41:20PM -0500, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
[...]
> That said, my case was a strange one, and yes, the assumption
> that one knows basic C is reasonable. The assumption that one
> knows more than that is, I think, unwarranted.

For a more advanced feature, more advanced knowledge is not a strange
assumption.  A feature like parse_string() which we're talking about
here requires some knowledge about parsers, about regular expressions
and what sort of complexity you might be dealing with for both.

If you ask about a hello_world.c program on a mailing-list like the
one that discusses the linux or one the bsd kernels, they'll redirect
you elsewhere, although occasionally give you a hint as to what you
might be doing wrong, if they're feeling helpful, but really they
assume you know what you're doing for starters.

> It is a sad truth that no one on this group (myself included,
> with the exception of what I provide through my publically
> available code) is interested in providing assistance with
> DGD to newbies.

You're confusing DGD with LPC here.  Most of us here (I think) would
be more than happy to help explain some of the features of DGD to
someone who displays some signs of at least knowing the basics.  This
list is however not intended as an LPC newbies list, last I checked
and if it was, I'd be outta here in no time at all.

[...]
> That said, if anyone who has only a basic knowledge of C expects
> that someone is going to explain parse_string() to them.... a
> smart-ass comment is about the best you can hope for, because
> it -might- induce them to realize how far they are in over
> their heads.

*grin* :-)  Yup, Zell gave a simple example, and that one is far from
a 3-line explanation of what it can or does. ;-)

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>