[DGD] Desperately Wanted

David Jackson araborn at home.com
Mon Dec 10 13:24:09 CET 2001

>It is a sad truth that no one on this group (myself included,
>with the exception of what I provide through my publically
>available code) is interested in providing assistance with
>DGD to newbies. We would do better to frankly admit that than
>to make misleading attempts to evade the truth. If we would
>frankly admit it, we might be in a better position to do
>something about it, if we think that there would be some
>general purpose to having a way for neophytes to get started
>with DGD. (I'm not sure there would be any purpose to that,
>at least not until a more usable mudlib, not excluding my
>own, is created.)

There's only one problem with this, and that is that I, the one who originally
asked for help with parse_string(), am NOT a newbie, or a neophyte.  I have
been programming professionally for a number of years.  I have more
than a passing knowledge of C.

As far as LPC goes, I have a pretty good understanding of that as well.  This
wasn't a "basic question".  This was a request to help me to understand the
mechanics of a rather unique function.

What parse_string() DOES is NOT difficult to understand.  I KNOW that I need
it to do what it does.  The part I don't understand is how to do that.  The
syntax
for the arguments doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't seem intuitive.  Thanks
to Zell, I now have a slightly better understanding of how that function works.

>That said, if anyone who has only a basic knowledge of C expects
>that someone is going to explain parse_string() to them.... a
>smart-ass comment is about the best you can hope for, because
>it -might- induce them to realize how far they are in over
>their heads.

I found this comment needlessly critical.  If this list isn't for
discussion of DGD,
then what is it for?

I am going to draw my own assumption now.  A lot of words have been said,
but very few of them have answered the original question.  I am going to assume
that perhaps very few of you understand parse_string() enough to provide some
greater insight into it's workings.

Is that right?  Would I be correct in such an assumption?  No, mostly
likely not.
But drawing that grand conclusion is no different than drawing the
conclusion that
I am a newbie.

>If you are looking for a mud-in-a-box package to set up and
>run, I'm very fond of the circa-1995 MudOS driver and the
>TMI-2 mudlib.
>
>Steve

I am here to share and to learn.  And I will learn, and share what I have
learned.

David Jackson
Mystic Visions