[DGD] Re: Virtual Objects (2)

S. Foley s_d_foley at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 04:35:07 CET 2001

"Arnau Rosselló Castelló" <arocas at alumni.uv.es> wrote:

>You mean redefining compile_object in the auto object? I think this would
>return
>the right object, but with the wrong name, for example if you try
>compile_object
>("/foo/bar") and /foo/bar.c exists, there would be no problem, but if it
>doesn't exist, it would return some object, but the object returned would
>be
>called "/foo/bing#345" or something like that. Is there a way around that?

D'oh!  See my previous comments about not being the brightest bulb.  I think
you're right about it being a problem.  Perhaps instead you could write some
front end to compile_object which would first check to see if the file
existed, and if it didn't, would call some other object to determine what
the source code for this virtual object would be, and pass it in as the
second argument to the compile_object() call.  Digging back into my memeory
I seem to remember something like this already having been suggested on this
list.  I can't be sure, though.

I'm sort of fumbling around with this issue at the moment myself :)

--Steve F.