[DGD] A Positive Look at Melville

David Jackson araborn at home.com
Tue Dec 11 03:59:12 CET 2001

Okay, so the last time I commented on Melville, I got ... commented on
(lol).  But,
since I've been working with the lib for some time now, and although very
little of
it remains in it's original form, I wanted to make a few more comments that I
think will be of interest to those who are relatively new to building a mudlib,
or LPC coding in general.

#1)  Melville may be a very minimal framework from which to operate, the
structure
for something very functional and very powerful is there.  This is a good
thing.  The
code is very well commented, and it's very, very easy to extend.  I added
functional,
working, and debugged code for doors in less than an hour.

#2)  Outside of parse_string(), practically everything that you need to
know is documented
somewhere within the code, or within the DGD documentation itself.  Code
examples
galore.  Mobydick's coding may not be the most elegant, but it is certainly
very, very
readable and easy to follow.  This is a good thing.

#3) I can't envision a better place to start, outside of the minimal lib
that comes with
the DGD driver itself.  When you play with the basic lib for a while, it's
very easy
to spot areas that you may want to extend it.  This is a good thing.

#4) Mobydick was wise enough to point out exactly where the code might need to
be extended, or where he simply did not feel compelled to add
functionality.  This
makes it very easy to gain a higher grasp of what is going on in the
lib.  This is a
very good thing.

Just my two cents...if you are a newbie to DGD, and want to learn more
about building
a mudlib, then Melville would be a very good starting point.

David Jackson
Mystic Visions