[DGD] Dynamic inheritance

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Mon Dec 24 06:31:49 CET 2001

Risto Karjalainen wrote:
> Due to the design of my lib, we're talking thousands of
> objects. Intuitively I get a shiver through my spine by the
> mere thought of having all of them inherit everything. But in
> this new light, I am not so sure anymore. I'd really like to
> see these statistics.

In the Skotos lib, all the in-game objects are a single class that
inherit every in-game object method. For instance, you can attack with a
salami or eat a sword, if you try hard enough ;-)

Par or Erwin can speak to the specifics of how we do what we do, but
there is a layman's article on the subject at
http://www.skotos.net/articles/TTnT_20.html

Our biggest game at this point has close to 200,000 game objects. So I
certain wouldn't worry about thousands.

-- Christopher Allen