[DGD] Dynamic inheritance

Wes Connell wes at brutality.org
Tue Dec 25 23:08:33 CET 2001

.oOo. Par Winzell (zell at skotos.net) wrote:

> The most complex possibility we've been kicking around in Skotos
> is a combination of data inheritance and a version of your LWO
> idea: a THING has a number of object pointers; one for each major
> branch of functionality -- a 'combat configuration' object, one
> for shape/race, perhaps, one for clothing, ... and then let each
> of these objects also participate in ur-object data inheritance
> chains, so that it's very easy to configure an object with basic
> building blocks -- you inherit the cow shape/race configuration,
> the bovine combat brain, ...
>
> Wesley should find these ideas familiar. :-)

Absolutely. I believe we could of cut down on the state dump dramatically
with a little bit of trimming on the THING. Throw in the 'pure-data-only-
as-needed' inheritance and alot could be cut off.

(I was a bit reluctant to begin describing the innards of the Skotos mudlib
 and some of our dicussions without you doing so first. ;) )

Par's description of the 'properties' is a good way to begin replacing the
space-wasting variables with values that use space as you need it.

>  > I think you might be better off just burning the extra memory and saving
>  > yourself some unnecessary complexity.

Perhaps my database theory is off here... but why couldn't the DGD driver do
incremental updates? (Feel free to rant on me, I desire a good whoopin' on
database theory. *chuckle*)

--
Wes!
wes at brutality.org