[DGD] Dynamic inheritance

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Wed Dec 26 03:32:51 CET 2001

Par Winzell writes:
 > A trivial computation: with 250K objects and 32-byte data structs,
 > each new global variable added to THING will cost you at least 1M
 > of statedump. Our THING has well over a hundred variables, and a
 > fair amount of those are also initialized to ({ }) or ([ ]). So
 > we probably waste upwards of 200 MB. OK, so that's just a quarter.

I think I was a little too trivial here. The size of the data struct
is nowhere near 32 bytes, I think, neither in memory nor on disk.

Nevertheless, with millions of objects 99.99% of them would be empty
rather than perhaps our current 95%, so reducing the number of those
variables would still be important.

Zell