[DGD] Persistance

David Jackson araborn at home.com
Fri Dec 28 20:50:20 CET 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 13:11, you wrote:

> Letting players build directly is always going to lead to complications
> like this. I'm thinking they should be allowed to build indirectly though,
> as one means of helping maintain the interest of any long term players you
> might have.

I agree.  After a point, most of your higher-level players are a)looking for
new content, or b)just looking for something to do.

> Does anyone think it might be possible to have a blueprint type thing? What
> I mean is an object the player can use to design a set of rooms for
> themselves as a series of string outputs/command inputs etc without any
> objects ever being created within the game environment itself. Then once
> the player is happy with the look/feel of their blueprint they could hand
> it over to one of the wizards/admins for approval. Then if approved throw
> it over to a wizard for coding.

For Mystic Visions, I have outlined a plan that allows players of a certain
level to "purchase" dungeons/keeps/castles --- in effect, they become the
"dungeon master".  Using a robust "dig" command, the process goes something
like this;

They "dig" the start room - a temporary room is created.  Through the dig
interface, they can set the short, the long, climate, temperature, add
monsters/NPCs, add treasures, and even add trapped chests containing
treasures.  This process will cost the character money.  E.g. a generic room
is created, with hooks to allow for "on the fly" setting of short, long, etc.

Through a "purchase" interface, they can purchase the aforementioned
treasures, monsters, and trapped chests, and whatever else I can come up
with.  Again, there will be a long list of "generic" items/monsters for use.

Through a "design" interface, they can design basic items to put in their
dungeon (of course, again, this costs the character money).  Even generic
monsters could be created this way.  If you put enough hooks in for
customization, then the players should have enough freedom to create what
they wish.

Using a "place" command, they can place the objects that they have
"purchased" or "designed".  The room that they place these items in, will
alter itself to include loading of these objects.

With a "dig" command in a room that they own, they can add an exit, or a
door, or a secret door.  Once the exit or door is added, they are then
transported to a new "generic room", and the previous room is written to disk.

All of these commands will force the player to "fill in the blanks", using
generic templates for design, to allow the code for the rooms to be modified.

Once they have completed their dungeon/castle/tower/keep (which they can
always add to later), they can then "request" that a wizard look over the
area, and then add the appropriate link to wherever the new dungeon would be
appropriate.

So, I have reduced the process to several commands - dig, purchase, design,
place, and request. And all of them are designed to work on "template" items
and rooms, to allow for code to be modified without coding.

Thoughts?

David Jackson
Mystic Visions