[DGD] Persistance

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Dec 28 21:03:29 CET 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, David Jackson wrote:
> For Mystic Visions, I have outlined a plan that allows players of a certain
> level to "purchase" dungeons/keeps/castles --- in effect, they become the
> "dungeon master".

Why do they do this? For sake of ownership? Or do other players
adventure in the areas these players create? Is there some tie
to further advancement in the game that one must create an area
of a certain size or popularity? (I have been toying with ideas
along those lines.)

> They "dig" the start room - a temporary room is created.  Through the dig
> interface, they can set the short, the long, climate, temperature, add
> monsters/NPCs, add treasures, and even add trapped chests containing
> treasures.

Some checking for theme consistency will be necessary here,
and perhaps rather time-consuming. Does the character have to
pay to make changes if the first set are rejected by the wizards
as being out of theme? It would encourage people to do it right
the first time but could lead to ill will.

> Thoughts?

Have you considered doing this using virtual objects instead
of files? With MudOS, I had implemented a version of this that
permitted room creation (I didn't get to object placing) and
found that virtual objects were a better way to go. Of course,
you would need to interface with DGD's virtual object hook.

Would you allow a player to connect two existing rooms? If
you want a player to be able to make a street network, for
instance, that is necessary, to be able to open an exit
between two existing rooms. It is rather difficult to do
with file writing, substantially easier with virtual rooms.

Steve