[DGD]Default Wiztool not loaded ?

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Fri Feb 16 21:33:19 CET 2001

Stephen Schmidt writes:
 > On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
 > > The /kernel/obj/ version is not much more than a wrapper around the
 > > /kernel/lib/wiztool.c object which contains all the functionality.
 >
 > > I assume the reason there is one in the kernel is because the lib
 > > needs to be able to function in the default setup when there is no
 > > /usr/System/ to speak of.
 >
 > Makes sense.
 >
 > This raises kind of a meta-question: Why does the kernel
 > use a wiztool, rather than the alternative of having a
 > /cmds directory and a file for each command? The latter
 > is the way most mudlibs do it, and has been since, IIRC,
 > LPMUD 3.something. What's the advantage of the wiztool
 > method?

If you implemented it using a /cmds directory, I would ask you
what the advantage is of that :-)  I am not sure there are all
that many truths one could say regarding the pros and cons of
either method. There are many ways to break code into pieces --
I personally see no advantage to making each command its own
object, especially instantiated objects.

For clarity I could see a main wiztool inheriting lib/cmds/*.c
but that's not the structure you're after. The 'most mudlibs'
statement you make is, I think, both wrong and irrelevant...

Why -should-, say, 'ls', exist as an object? What does it do
that it needs to be able to be referenced through an object
pointer?

Zell