[DGD]Default Wiztool not loaded ?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Feb 16 22:32:23 CET 2001

Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Par Winzell wrote:
> > If you implemented it using a /cmds directory, I would ask you
> > what the advantage is of that :-)
>
> Good point. I guess the main thing is that it's easier
> to maintain commands if each one is in a separate file
> that doesn't do anything else. I was kinda struck by the
> length of receive_message in the kernel's user; it's
> quite long because the basic commands (say, tell, passwd,
> users, that sort of thing) are hard-coded in user.c.
> If you want to change the tell command, and you make
> a mistake and the file won't load, with the /cmds
> system, all that breaks is the tell command. With
> the kernel system, user.c would stop compiling. Similarly
> with the wiztool, although if you had a clone of the
> old wiztool already, nothing bad would happen as long
> as no one tried to clone a new wiztool.

Recompiling without first destructing has been a feature in DGD
for 4 years now. :-)

Many things in the kernel lib are the way they are for the sake
of simplicity and efficiency.  Also, the kernel library is not
intended to be changed, but rather to be extended, so I can
reasonably assume that the only person who changes the code is
myself; and I have no problems at all with maintaining 26
commands in the same file.

There is a peculiarity in the /cmds model which I was anxious to
avoid: the commands are not just in separate files, but they are
even in separate instantiated <objects>.  This has led to a near-
endless stream of security problems.