[DGD]Default Wiztool not loaded ?

Tim Vernum tpv at acay.com.au
Sun Feb 18 12:52:16 CET 2001

Dworkin wrote:

>There is a peculiarity in the /cmds model which I was anxious to
>avoid: the commands are not just in separate files, but they are
>even in separate instantiated <objects>.  This has led to a near-
>endless stream of security problems.

The reverse is also true.
If you put all commands into a small number of objects, and then
need to allow command X high privileges, you usually end up
giving it to command Y.
Which means your command objects need to have the highest level
of security, and you can let anyone other than your most trusted
developers touch them.

What's wrong with
/cmds/secure/
/cmds/general/
(or some other organisational structure)?

In general I would like to allow senior wizards access to write
 and modify commands, without necessarily giving them the ability
 to write "System" privileged objects.
That seems to necessitate moving non-secure commands out of the
 System hierarchy, and separate command files works quite well
 for that.

Heaven7 has all commands in either "player.c" or "wizard.c" and
 in my experience it sucks so badly, in ways that even DGD can't
 fix.

If I were writing a lib now, then I might consider putting
 central, secure commands in one object, but the advantages of
 having game related commands in separate objects is quite high.

--
Tim Vernum <tpv at spamcop.net>
This message brought to you by BeOS : http://free.be.com