[DGD]Default Wiztool not loaded ?

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Feb 19 17:27:34 CET 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> I just checked, and it appears to be fairly simple to break Melville's
> security.

I have never claimed otherwise :) Melville's security has
never been extensively tested, for precisely the reason
that Dworkin notes below: it's not a trivial task. That
said, I will always fix security bugs when reported.

>  - The function set_creator() is not nomask.

That's a bug.

>  - The creator of any object can be reset to "Driver" from a callout.

That's clearly not the Right Thing, but I don't think anything
terribly bad would happen as a result, as "Driver" has no
privileges. The worst that can happen, I think, is that
a user loses privileges that it would have if it had the
user's name as its creator.

>  - valid_read() does not first resolve the path it checks.
>  - valid_write() only resolves the path it checks if called from
>    a function called "log_file".

Also bugs.

> All this from checking /system/auto/security.c -- I'm sure there is
> more, but at this point I can already arbitrarily rewrite LPC source
> files :-)

I'm sure there are too ;)  As noted, any bugs found will
be fixed. If enough mount up (and Dworkin's list is probably
enough in itself) a new release will go out.

Steve