[DGD]Help I ma lost and need directions

Marcus A Martin shalidor at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 22:27:51 CET 2001

I am looking to put together a Mud of my own, and am currently in the
process of researching what tools and server I should use to build it. I
have gone throught the trouble of defining all of the rules for characters,
combat and magic on paper already.

I have read the DGD documentation and now understand how to create rooms and
place objects, exits and descriptions into them.

What I want to do is go to the next step and start creating the rules for
the charcters, magic, etc. But I am a bit lost on where to start. The only
documentation I have seen is that players inherit from "living_objects." I
am not usre what a living object is or how to use it not have I seen it in
the source tree.

I have a fairly large number of questions about how to add players in.
Everything from, how do I set up the mud to create players by default and
not creators to how to I load player information. DO I need to write my own
I/O routines to get information from and place it into a file, or does the
driver define this.

Can you point me in the direction of any documentation that covers these
concepts or perhaps an example of a mudlib base of DGD that uses them?

Any help is appreciated.

Marcus