[DGD]New mudlibs

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Jan 19 16:40:47 CET 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, John West McKenna wrote:
> I see this as orthogonal to the others.

I concur. There would be a lot of value to creating a mudlib
that didn't do anything different than 2.4.5, but was purely
HTML based, just because so many more people use browsers
than use telnet clients these days. It would seem, however,
that if one is going to do that, one should at least take
some advantage of HTML capabilities, or even Java.

Four questions, though:

1) Do you use images, ie, gifs and jpgs? If you do, they can
be pretty big files; does bandwidth become a problem? How
do you control it, if so?

2) Traditional muds have always had the problem that admins
have to inspect areas created by new wizards to make sure
they fit the theme, are not offensive, etc. Does the use
of images make that problem substantially worse?

3) Does this make it harder to be a wizard, ie, do you have
to learn HTML as well as LPC? If so, will that be a barrier?
(I suspect not, it's easier to learn HTML and LPC now than
it was to learn just LPC 12 years ago).

4) The say command requires some push technology; does that
require the use of Java? I think it does, but I'm not well
educated on the subject (and I don't know any Java).

> What's happening with Skotos these days?

They've posted an article at www.skotos.com called "XML: The
Core of the Skotos StoryBuilder Server." The title says most
of the information, but if you want to look at it, you can
follow the Articles links on their main page. Seems like
what they're doing is more complex than a simple switch to
an HTML interface, but is along the same lines.

Steve