[DGD]New mudlibs

John West McKenna john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 18 21:33:00 CET 2001

Stephen Schmidt writes:

>4) We could use a Web-ified or Java-ified mud concept, which
>would reach audiences that telnet doesn't reach.

I see this as orthogonal to the others.  My experiments along those lines
have Java and telnet as two interfaces to the same thing.  If you can use
Java, you get the pretty window with separate input and output areas, maybe
status boxes, a map, or whatever.  If you can't, the telnet interface is
still there.  It's not as pretty or convenient, but you're not punished for
using it.  I know people who still use dumb terminals.

I went for Java because it's so easy for the user to deal with.  You don't
need to know about telnet.  You don't need to download and install client
software.  You just point your browser at it and go.  That alone multiplies
your potential audience by a *lot*.

I'm a firm believer in making things as easy as possible for new users.

But I've drifted from the point: whatever the game is like, it can have an
interface beyond the traditional telnet.  A text-based game should (in my
opinion) support both, or a pure-graphics game could require a custom
client.  A pure-graphics MUD would be interesting.  Challenging to do well,
and I think too much work for all but the most dedicated.

Writing something completely different is a dangerous choice.  Do the wrong
thing, and nobody will touch it.  On the other hand, do it well and DGD
will have something to point at and say "use DGD and you can do this too!"
What's happening with Skotos these days?

I'm not qualified to guess what this something different might be.  My
experience with game MUDs was very brief and not a good one (part of why I
want to do this - show 'em how it should be done :-)

John