[DGD] MudOS or DGD

Mikael Lind z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se
Tue Jul 31 20:53:39 CEST 2001

Quoting Sergey S. Koval from 18:33, 2001-07-31:

> 1. Is there anywhere manual on driver efunctions ? (MudOS comes with slightly
> more complete documentation)

In DGD, driver efuns are called kfuns (kernel functions). See
the dgd/doc/kfun directory.

> 2. Is it possible to add own "plugin" efuns without altering driver code ?

Yes. There are two special objects in DGD: the auto object and the
driver object. The auto object is automatically inherited by all
objects except for itself and the driver object. The driver object is
called by DGD at various times.

Your own efuns would belong in the auto object. However, also
see the reply to the next question.

> 3. Is it really hard to move from MudOS to DGD ? Actually, could someone
> point on major differences ?

Disclaimer: I have not used MudOS. My impression is that DGD comes
with less assumptions than your average LPC driver. This means that
you will have to implement security and many other things in LPC.

DGD actually comes with a minimalistic kernel LPC library that
handles housekeeping and security in an efficient and flexible
manner. You probably want to start building on top of that instead of
starting from scratch. The kernel library contains a driver object
and an auto object that you should not modify. There are other ways
of customizing the mud when you use the kernel library. See the
dgd/mud/doc/kernel directory for some documentation.

The most challenging aspect of moving to DGD could be that there are
not many released game mudlibs or much released code. I guess most of
us are hacking away on our own private utopias ...

You can find some resources at:

http://www.dworkin.nl/dgd/
http://www.eyesbeyond.com/dgd/faq/

> 4. Anybody benchmarked these drivers ? Does speed greatly differs ?
> (i mean internal code, not precompieled version)

Sorry, I do not know of any recent benchmarks.

> P.S. Sorry, if you think, that this message is offtopic.

This is a list for all DGD-related topics. If you stick with DGD, you
will hopefully find it helpful as well as useful.

// Mikael / Elemel

--
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm / To feel connected enough to
step aside and weep like a widow / To feel inspired / To fathom the