[DGD]Another newbie question

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Jun 4 19:51:16 CEST 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, James J. Bennett wrote:
> Why hasn't anyone ever released or ported a mudlib for DGD?

I have released one; the Melville mudlib. It should be available
by FTP at imaginary.com. It is TMI-2-like in style in most ways,
though not all. Dworkin has released two mudlibs for DGD; the
2.4.5-compatible lib and the kernel lib. I think there is also
a MOO-simulating lib around somewhere. As far as I know, those
four are the only four thus far.

> Is it difficult to port a mudlib (like say tmi-2) to dgd?

Yes, it would be the work of many months for a wizard of
reasonable but not exceptional experience.

> Is it significantly more difficult to write a mudlib for dgd?

Yes, because you have to handle more of the low-level operations
yourself, because of the "minimalist" approach of the DGD design.
If, however, you start with Melville or the kernel lib, and make
modifications to that, then it's not too hard.

> Are there significant problems with porting a lid from say mudos to dgd?

I don't know if anyone has ever tried that. It would be hard. If
I had to do it, I'd start with Melville and build it up until it
could handle the MudOS code. But you'd have to make substantial
changes to Melville to make it compatible with MudOS, notably in
security.

Steve Schmidt