[DGD]Another newbie question

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Jun 4 20:06:03 CEST 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, James J. Bennett wrote:
> I assume that the 'kernel lib' is as minimalist as melville?

Somewhat more so, I would say. Melville implements some things
like channels and bulletin boards that the kernel lib doesn't.
I think Melville might have a few more commands but I haven't
counted - if it has more, it's only a few more.

The main difference between Melville and the kernel lib is
that Melville is backwards-looking - it is intended to provide
a somewhat MudOS-like environment for those who are used to
that or who prefer it, while the kernel lib is forwards-looking,
being substantially more sophisticated and powerful, but also
being somewhat harder to use IMHO, considerably harder if you
are already used to the MudOS style lib. That should probably
be the basis for choosing between them.

If you want a ready-to-code-rooms-and-monsters mudlib for DGD,
then you would have to use the 2.4.5-compatible lib. The idea
of creating a native-DGD mud-in-a-box mudlib has been floated
a few times but no one has ever taken serious steps towards
creating one so far as I know.

Steve