[DGD]Sectors

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Jun 8 20:40:42 CEST 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 06:17:22PM +0000, Chooser fireman wrote:
> > What is the average number of sectors for a game?

> There is no 'average number of sectors', as there is no linear or
> other relation to the number of people logged in.

Agreed, very strongly. In my somewhat limited experience,
memory use is driven primarily by four things (all assuming
you are running a fantasy-adventure game). In declining order
of importance, they are:

1) Number of rooms in your world.
2) Uptime. In the early part of an uptime, parts of your world
   won't have been visited yet, so the files won't be loaded.
   Later they will be.
3) Number of active (ie, moving around) users. Active users
   keep loading rooms, and monsters and weapons and so forth.
   Users sitting in one room talking take up almost no memory
   other than the two objects that they are.
4) Aggressiveness of your clean_up() routine that removes
   "useless" objects from memory.

If you are having a problem with memory, I'd go after point 4;
make sure you have an effective clean_up algorithm that's getting
rid of rooms that aren't being used. Either that, or see what you
can do to make swapping faster/more effective, if you have to keep
them around but want them out of memory.

Steve