[DGD]How many objects can I have?

mtaylor mtaylor at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 11 06:24:05 CEST 2001

Kind of continuing the theme of swaps and the possibility of keeping a Mud
running. I'm not entirely sure I know how to swap objects out that aren't
being used. I would like to use the full functionality of DGD and employ
this great feature.

I'm just wondering how it works exactly. Is it that objects not in use are
saved to disk? How do you tell if an object is in use or not? When they are
needed again how do you reload the object you saved?

I'm so sorry if I am sounding really stupid, or if all these questions have
been asked ... It's just I keep feeling I'm out of my depth ;)

I really like the DGD driver and I am at the stage with a mudlib where we
are starting to develop skills, rooms etc. We completely built a mudlib from
the bottom up and it all seems to be working fine.

As mentioned a little while ago we have implemented no security as yet
(mainly because I'm not entirely sure what we are protecting against, and
how to do it).

The main problems I am worried about are:

1. The rlimits thing - I haven't used any of these yet because I'm not sure
how to. Erwin was very kind to reply but I'm not sure I fully understand
what I am doing or why.

2. Security. What is it there for and how should I implement it. What do I
need to protect?

3. Swapping objects out not being used and reloading them later.

How would I save the state of a room for example. The items it currently
contains, people etc. How would I expand that to save the Mud? Or is that
ridiculous *blush*

I need some help with resources I think. Making sure resources are cleaned
up and that housekeeping is being done.

Anyway ... If anyone can bear it I would love some help.

We are building a fantasy based mudlib - the intention is to have God
characters who interact with the mortals - giving quests etc. and would also
have quests themselves. They could have followers and grant their followers
spells, favours etc. So it is kind of based around religions, but the stuff
is there for people to come on and roleplay or combat type stuff.

Using DGD 1.2 on a MacOS 9.

Thanks in advance

Matt

P.s. Sorry if this is a bad email ... It's late ;)