[DGD]mudlib features

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Mar 8 19:59:38 CET 2001

Now that I'm committed to releasing a Melville 0.9.1, I'm
starting to think about features I should add, given the
goals of the mudlib are to take advantage of some of the
special features of DGD, while remaining simple and easy
for a non-computer scientist to understand. The two that
have come to my mind are:

1) An object tracking daemon that would let you manage
all objects loaded in the mud;

2) Some kind of limitation on inheritance and cloning
that would prevent you from having a cloned, inherited
object, for the same reasons that the kernel lib has
that limit.

Is there anyone else that has a wish list for Melville
(that's consistent with the lib's design goals - I'm
not interested in adding combat or guilds or the like)
and if so, what's on it? I'm not planning to dedicate
a huge amount of effort to this, but it seems like the
right time to do a little work on it.

Also, would anyone be interested in a version of Melville
that ran on top of the kernel lib, thus giving you access
to some of the kernel lib's features (ie, resource tracking)
that are not in Melville?

Steve