[DGD]gethostbyname: no file or directory

Ryan jrb at kc.rr.com
Fri Mar 23 07:53:58 CET 2001

Hello,

still trying to install dgd 1.0.9 and the old xyllomer mud lib :p.

If you'd like to help me readon, if not, save yourself some time and well.. not :p

Ok, to start: i'm using mandrake linux 7.2,  connect to the internet through a cable modem service, therefore I use the DHCP package.

Here's how I've installed DGD. I downloaded both the driver, and the mudlib into my tmp file. I then copied dgd out into /home/ryan, and did 'tar xvfz dgd.1.0.9.tar.gz'

I then copy the mudlib into /home/ryan/dgd/mud, and then untar it using the same options as above.

I then modify the muds config file, called lpmud in this case. I set the base directory, etc.

I then go into /dgd/src/host and 'cp Makefile.sysv Makefile',
I then type 'make'

I then back up into the /dgd/src directory, and edit the makefile where it says HOST , and change it from NETBSD, to LINUX.. I then do 'make', and then a 'make install'

The driver executable ends up in bin. So then, I go into bin, and type ./driver /home/ryan/dgd/mud/lib/lpmud &

Everything loads, it sets up the ipc, then says
gethostbyname: no file or directory found, and exits.

This is where i guess i'm lost. I tried doing a man 3 gethostbyname, which led me to the /etc/hosts file. The 127. whatever ip is there for the local host, and my hostname SKIPPY.rr.com is there, but no ip is next to it inside the ""

Heh, so can anyone help me out? Hope im' not leaving anything out.. oh and I tried all this under both root and a user. Same results.