[DGD]gethostbyname: no file or directory

Neil McBride sarak at castinian.org
Fri Mar 23 08:57:08 CET 2001

> This is where i guess i'm lost. I tried doing a man 3 gethostbyname,
> which  led me to the /etc/hosts file. The 127. whatever ip is there for
> the local  host, and my hostname SKIPPY.rr.com is there, but no ip is
> next to it inside  the ""

RedHat never did do a good job of network config. I assume it's carried on in
Mandrake.  Anyway,  take out the line with your hostname next to it (assuming
you don't have an internal network besides from your cable modem) and add it
onto the end of the localhost (127.0.0.1) line.

The problem is that it's trying to use your hostname as a reference to determine
IP address.  Of course, if there's no IP address beside your hosts name, it has
problems.

DGD should start up okay then.

Neil.